How do the people you are currently attracting to your organisation or department look at you? Are they the strong, capable potential leaders you desire? Or could they be better? Remember, their quality does not ultimately depend on a hiring process, a human resource department, or even what you consider to be the quality of your area’s applicant pool. It depends on you. Who you are is Who you attract… That’s the Law of Magnetism.
In this law, Maxwell describes leaders as magnets. They are constantly attracting followers and often attracting new leaders to themselves. It is because of this that organizations experience growth. In other words, the people that wind up surrounding the leader are people similar in nature to him. So, if you’re negative all the time, don’t be surprise to get negative thinking people around.
“It’s possible for a leader to go out and recruit people unlike himself, but those are not the people he will naturally attract”
In most situations, you draw people to you who possess the same qualities you do. Maxwell continues with a set of characteristics:
- Attitude: Rarely do positive and negative people attract one another. People who see life as a series of challenges and opportunities don’t want to spend time with people who complain about how bad life is all the time. Negative people find positive people often tedious and naive.
- Generation: People tend to attract others of the same age. If you are 30 and aggressive, you find people withing your age bracket that are 30 and aggressive.
- Background: People of the same or similar backgrounds tend to attract one another. You will naturally resonate with people who have a similar fund of experiences and background.
- Values: People are attracted to leaders whose values are similar to their own. It doesn’t matter whether the shared values are positive or negative. The attraction is always equally strong. Whatever character you possess you will likely find in the people who follow you.
- Life Experience: You’ll naturally be attracted to people or things you have exposed yourself to over time. This is where habits and what you do on a consistent basis come into play.
- Leadership Ability: The people you attract will have leadership ability similar to your own. As discussed in the Law of Respect, people follow leaders stronger than themselves. The leaders you attract will be similar in style and ability to you.
Who you are is who you attract. If you want to attract better people, become the kind of person you desire to attract.
Effective Leaders are always on the lookout for good people. What qualities do these people possess? What qualities are you looking for in the people you want to lead your organization or the people you want to follow? Make a list of the qualities you would like to see in the people on your team.
Who you get is not determined by what you want. It’s determined by who you are. Leaders draw people who are like themselves.
The better leader you are, the better leaders you will attract. If want to have better leaders around you, start with improving yourself first.
The empowering nature of the Law of Magnetism is the true beauty behind it. You can immediately take responsibility for your actions, thereby heavily influencing and changing the actions and results of those around you.